Friday, October 12, 2007

Social Networking

I have to admit that I felt a little weird asking my 14 year old neice to be my friend on Facebook (she declined. Of course. Did I mention she is 14?)

I like social networking. I find myself keeping track of my Library School classmates that way. My social network site is a place I go to for professional AND personal information. I think more and more of us are doing it unconsciously: A friend of mine told me he hated MySpace and Facebook, then proceeded to talk about all the comments he posted on a movie blog in response to others' comments. He was using a social network without realizing it.

And I am still fascinated by that article that points to class distinctions in Facebook and MySpace. Most of my friends and colleagues are on Facebook. Is it because I am older? White? From a middle class background? All of the above?

I have some pretty cool articles about social networking posted on my Facebook account. You can access them at www.facebook.com or go directly to the articles:

http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/fashion/07Cyber.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

No comments: