Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Lifelong Learning and Staying on Target

When I want to learn a new skill, some of my biggest hurdles are described in

Habit 1: Begin with the End in Mind and Habit 2:See problems as Challenges.

I usually start with a very challenging end in mind--or no end in site, then get bored or discouraged as problems, or "challenges" come up.

I believe that when I am pursuing certain goals, like "I want to learn more about technology" it is important to not limit myself with an End in Mind. But with other goals, like "I want to learn to ski," a more tangible end to that goal will help me achieve it. But I have to remember to set achievable goals like "I want to learn to ski by the end of the winter," not the "I want to learn to ski and run a race within a month" kind of goal.

No comments: